Local Social Media Services
Local Social Media Services
By Julia Salem
October 16, 2011
Updated: January 25, 2012
It is common knowledge that social networking is a big industry in the start-up world. It is predicted to be an $8 billion market by the end of 2014. Some of the general social networks, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, FourSquare and others have paved the way for even more niche-based start-ups to enter this market in the hopes of over-night success. In addition, going mobile is also becoming a major necessity for social networks with more and more social networking sites starting up with or adding mobile sites and/or apps.
Some interesting new start-ups are those focused on matching you with people in your area based on your interests. Some of these include:
- ShoutFlow—Matches users with people nearby by similar interests listed in their profiles. Matches people based on similar interests in Facebook. The app is currently free and available on the iPhone.
- Hyphos—This site allows users to discover new interests, talk to others with similar interests & hobbies and meet others with similar interests. The site is currently free and available as a website.
- Blendr—Created by Grindr, this app allows users to connect with others nearby with similar interests, hobbies, profession and more. Blendr is meant to connect people of any sex and orientation who have similar interests and hobbies. The app is free and available on iOS and as a Facebook app.
- Sonar—This app shows people with similar interests by analyzing your Foursquare, Facebook and Twitter activity. The app is currently free and available on iOS.
- Mingle–Aims to have people meet those nearby and find out if they have similar interests. Allows users to see who is nearby, what nearby users do and who they are interested in meeting. This app is currently free and available on iOS.
- StreetSpark–This site uses information from social networks to match people with the same interests. The site also matches people by location.
- LifeKnot–Helps people meet others with shared interests and passions. Has over 1,520 activities listed and allows users to suggest more to add.
- Loopt Mix–Meet people nearby using tags and search filters to connect to people with similar interests. This app is free to download and available on iOS.
- Path–Allows users to share personal moments of life with a small group of friends rather than a large network. The app also learns user’s habits and recognizes favorite places to visit. Path is available on iOS and Android devices. It also integrates with Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare and Tumblr.
- Gowalla–Free geo-location app that suggests places for users to visit. Gowalla was recently acquired by Facebook.